Tuesday, June 6, 2006

Show 6: Architecture

Architecture! Songs about houses, homes, Brazilian architecture, little grass shacks... along with comments from a couple of iconic figures of twentieth century modern architecture...


Song 1 : : Tennis
Artist : : Lindberg-Hemmer Foundation
Album : : Brazilian Architecture

Music inspired by the architecture of Oscar Niemeyer... by a Danish organ and bass duo! Can’t tell you much about the Lindberg-Hemmer Foundation except that this record is great and they’ve got another one called “Scandinavian Supermarket Music at its Finest” that I have yet to get my hands on. Some info can be found here and here.

* * *

Song 2 : : A House is Not a Home
Artist : : Burt Bacharach
Album : : Reach Out

Mr. Bacharach can compose a fine song... but he’s not the greatest singer. I was inspired to play this after hearing a friend comment about staying in a house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Here’s a link to a Bacharach fan web-site called – you guessed it – A House is Not a Homepage.

* * *

Song 3 : : My Little Grass Shack
Artist : : The Mauna Loa Islanders
Album : : Music of the Islands

One day, I hope to get me a little grass shack in Kealakekua, Hawaii. Until then, I’ll shoot for making it to Waikiki for my 50th birthday (nine years away)... let’s call it Hawaii 5-0. This record is straight out of my dad’s record collection. This is the one that is responsible for turning me on to all things Tiki! I reviewed it here.

No comments: