Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Show 19: Speed!

Summer has kept me busy this year... I traveled a little further and more often than in recent years, worked on various projects, and just generally ran around a lot more than usual for the summer months.

It always helps to have some fast-paced music to move me along when there are too many things going on at the same time. Here’s a selection of speedy songs that kept me going through a busier-than-usual summer...


Song 1 : : Runnin’ Wild
Artist : : Robert Maxwell
Album : : Red Hot Harp

* * *

Song 2 : : Tarantula
Artist : : Robert Maxwell
Album : : Red Hot Harp

Great speedy stuff... and an exotica connection here too: Maxwell composed both “Ebb Tide” and “Shangri-La.” Some good info on Maxwell can be found here.

* * *

Song 3 : : Twilight in Turkey
Artist : : The Raymond Scott Orchestrette
Album : : Pushbutton Parfait

A wonderful 7-piece “orchestrette” formed by Irwin Chusid and dedicated to performing (in some cases, reinterpreting) the music of Raymond Scott. They have only put out one album so far... wish they’d make more. Among the members of the Orchestrette is one of my favorites, electric zither master Brian Dewan.

* * *

Song 4 : : A Shot in the Dark
Artist : : Oranj Symphonette
Album : : Plays Mancini

I’ve played these guys on the show before and I’m still hoping they’ll eventually get together for another record. As I mentioned previously, some info on their two albums can still be found here and here. Also, make sure to check out OS member Ralph Carney’s MySpace page.

* * *

Song 5 : : Twelfth Street Rag
Artist : : Johnny Puleo and his Harmonica Gang
Album : : Johnny Puleo and his Harmonica Gang

* * *

Song 6 : : St. Louis Blues Boogie
Artist : : Johnny Puleo and his Harmonica Gang
Album : : Johnny Puleo and his Harmonica Gang

Okay, I forgot to dig up and scan that photo of Johnny Puleo and my mom... but I’ll get around to doing eventually, I promise (again!).
I’ve played these guys before too... and I’ll most surely play them again. Johnny Puleo’s biography can be found here.

No comments: